Friday, August 31, 2012

Our Little School at Home: Rev to Rev Unit 4

This week was a struggle. We had ATTITUDE issues...unfortunately, they were mama attitude issues, so...if you think to pray for me, that would be GREAT!! Won't go in to all the struggles, just need more of Jesus and less of me. And, no migraines would help, too.

Joshua completed Unit 4 this week of Revival to Revolution and had a great time. He painted a Chinese vase and it is beautiful. One of many things HOD has fostered in my child is an enjoyment of art. (No pictures of his vase...I haven't figured out how to get them to this blog yet.) That was probably his favorite activity.

I still read to Joshua. I know that he is thirteen and could be doing it himself, but it is sooo hard for me to let completely go. And, he enjoys me reading to him. Paired with the Biblical Worldview study, reading aloud helps us maintain a close relationship. Anyway, for the read aloud, we finished reading Songbird and started The Secret Wish of Nannerl Mozart. Joshua liked Songbird because of all he learned about the King's law. Joshua compared the court system now versus then.

Whenever we start a new book, we begin by identifying the genre it is. Joshua always wants to know if it is a true story and is disappointed when it is not. :) The Secret Wish of Nannerl Mozart was no different. The relationships between the children and their father made for an interesting discussion as Nannerl dealt with jealousy.

Joshua did one day of the unit at his grandparents' so that I could take a road trip with my husband for work. I am so thankful for the diligence he demonstrated in completing everything according to the directions. He is showing so much growth in this area.

There were yummy looking brownies in Who is God? but we did not make them. I have all the ingredients, but we ran out of time. Joshua and I ended up discussing the reading far longer than I have scheduled. But, because he has discovered a love for baking and he loves brownies, I am expecting that our house will be filled with the aroma of baking brownies at some point this weekend.

We are working on memorizing the book of Matthew for Bible quizzing as well as the assigned chapter of Hebrews this year, but are falling short. If anyone has any ideas how to help with Bible memory, please, please, please, would you share??

For history, we studied China's Quinong to Britain's Lieutenant-Colonel Washington. It is always an "oh, yeah" moment when we are reminded that George Washington was trained as a soldier in the British military.

As a mom, I love that the guide reminds my son to pray according to ACTS (Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving and Supplication) and includes prayer starters. I am blessed to have found this curriculum!

No comments:

Post a Comment