Sunday, August 26, 2012

Our Little School at Home: Rev to Rev Unit 3

I must confess, when the Lord brought us to Heart of Dakota curriculum, there were a couple of things I refused to try. Then, this year, apart from science (using Apologia with the HOD Inventor's Study), I decided to completely follow the plan.

We began Rod and Staff 7 for grammar. Joshua loves it! The only complaint he has had was the day he had to write a character sketch - not surprising, since writing is his least favorite subject. I feel like I am more on top of grammar this year than in years past because I have to do the lessons with him daily. Not only are we both amazed at how quickly Joshua is growing in grammatical proficiency, but we also enjoy the Biblical references and connections. One day he said to me, "Mom, this has to be a Christian book. It is so obvious." I, of course, chuckled my agreement

Our favorite time has been Biblical Worldview. This week when we read and discussed the book Who is God? Joshua asked such thoughtful questions that he shocked me. His thirteen year old brain is finally making connections that I have been praying he would make for Y.E.A.R.S. I praise God for this wonderful study, as well as the Hebrews Bible study he is currently completing. I am so thankful that the Holy Spirit is working in his heart.

We finished reading Amos Fortune, Freeman this week. Joshua and I had such an interesting discussion about this book and what it means to live free. So many good lessons are contained in this book.

Joshua learned about Johann Sebastian Bach, assembled a Composers Timeline for Music Appreciation and made coins for his history project.

Overall, this was a great week. To think, we have painlessly completed three units and are ready to go on Monday!! School is such a joy this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment