Sunday, December 9, 2012

Our Little School at Home: Rev to Rev Unit 17, LHFHG, Unit 1

Rev to Rev Unit 17

Joshua is continuing to thrive in Rev to Rev. I am wondering about adding the extensions because he finishes so quickly - a point of prayer. His written narrations are taking on a life of their own. No more complaints on Day 1 of the unit about it!! HOORAY!

My favorite time of the day is that time when he needs my help. He spends most of the day independently, except for needing some math help occasionally, language arts, biblical worldview and story time. I know that he could totally complete story time on his own, but I love my time with him...and my time of homeschooling him is growing short.

We both enjoyed Marie's Home, even after his original, "Ah this is for girls..." attitude. LOL. Both of us were sorry to finish the book. We began Seaman and are enjoying his journey with Lewis and Clark. Having studied this before, it is fun to discuss what we already know and how it fits with what we are learning now.

Joshua continues to enjoy the inventor study and the state study. The only thing he really does not like to do is to cut out the pictures of state flower, etc., to glue into the state study. He "forgets" to do it often and is sent back to complete it correctly...and he does.

Grammar is progressing well. I was so afraid to switch to Rod and Staff after using a different program since we started homeschooling. I am so thankful we made the switch. Joshua is excelling and enjoys (YIKES) sentence diagramming. We have fallen slightly behind in creative writing, but not because we don't like the program. But, since it is only scheduled once a week, I have a tendency to forget to check over it. Anything that doesn't get immediately checked suddenly doesn't get complete.

Joshua only finished half of Unit 17 because he is taking a wood working class. He has Christmas presents he is working on, so he spent extra class at the wood shop completing them. I am not allowed to see them, but have been told that he did a really great job!


Little Hearts for His Glory, Unit 1:

So, if you did not hear how miraculously God brought us the curriculum we needed for little Jacob, you can read it here! He is always good to us and I thank Him for His generous provision!

We began LHFHG immediately. We are not quite doing half pace, but are working on it. Jacob is loving the math activities. We filled a plastic bag with lotion (okay, I did not have hair gel & used what I had), and practiced writing our numbers in it. He did it until he had worn multiple holes in the bag. I also taped all the numbers on the floor and we traced them with our feet...umm...the numbers are still there. I am only slightly concerned that the tape may leave a sticky residue, but Jacob is having fun daily tracing them...so...

We also learned about history - His story. Jacob had fun with the creative activity, tearing up construction paper and making a sort of collage with the cross in the center. He also learned that it takes the earth one year to travel around the sun. But, probably his favorite activity was the rhyme...as we leaped like deer, hopped like kangaroos, stomped like elephants...well.. you get the picture.

I am most impressed with how easily he memorizes Scripture. We have done this outside of school and I was amazed. After going over the verse three times, he knows it...he can recite it clearly and without stuttering over words. WOW! Wish that I could memorize that easily!! Then, we get to have so much fun with it!!

We started Reddy Fox. What a crack up! We read during lunch and my 13 year old is asking me to read the next chapter, "PLEASE!" LOL. He said, "It's not fair. You did not do this with me." Oh, but I did read excellent books to him...but he did miss some gems!! Well, he is getting them through his little brother. (SMILE)

Really thankful for the gift of LHFHG. God has truly blessed us by providing just what we needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment