Thursday, October 4, 2012

Our Little School At Home: Unit 9

Jacob sat in Daddy's lap today and read a book to him. Daddy was SUPER impressed that his little four year old could read it all by himself! He has been working on it all week because he wanted to be able to do it "right" for Daddy. Loved it! The only mistake I made was not capturing it on video.

Although we haven't been able to purchase his curriculum yet, he is still enjoying The Reading Lesson and other little workbooks. Last week, we read a book from the library called Pop and Toot. This week, he has been writing Pop Toot on the whiteboard. It is kinda funny how he writes Pop. His second P is typically backwards. So cute!

Well, we made it! Unit 9 is complete of Rev to Rev. Joshua is celebrating his success - and we are, too! For the most part, this year is the smoothest we have EVER had in eight years of homeschooling. He is taking ownership of his education...but more importantly, I see him growing leaps and bounds spiritually. It is so fun to hear him connect his Scripture memory to some lesson he is learning in another subject. LOVE IT!!

We finished reading John Paul Jones: The Pirate Patriot. His life was so sad, in the end. Joshua pointed out how Jones' story demonstrates that not even fame or being a hero lasts.

I love the World View study. Joshua surprises me sometimes with his depth of insight. So thankful that HOD introduced me to the Who is God resource and I look forward to it!

We decided at the beginning of the year that if Joshua finished nine units without skipping things, then we would take him out to eat at his favorite restaurant. We rarely eat our. So, he is SUPER excited that he has earned his reward.

1 comment:

  1. I love how well HOD prepares the students to work independently. Even in Bigger I'm finding ways to begin that process with my daughter!

    I also love the story about your younger son's reading. My girls both learned to read at 4 after I gave in to their begging :) It's one of the really fun aspects of the kids being taught by us!

    I'm glad you week went so well!

    ReplyDelete