Thursday, February 13, 2014

My Favorite Superhero

Sometimes, God He speaks to my heart through the words of the littlest among us. Today was one of those days. Me, curled in fetal position on the sofa, head throbbing so badly that I couldn't function, couldn't enjoy the sun shining blindingly through the kitchen window, couldn't get up without the pain multiplying and sending me to the floor, no words of kindness on my lips. Boy-man serving us all, fixing breakfast, fixing lunch, cleaning up the mess, setting up crafts for the littlest one - beautiful really, to see him love, to see him serve, and I am so thankful for this grace, the blessing of my oldest.

But it was this littlest one, the wee one, who made me weep. It was the wee one who spoke the light of God's Word into the darkness of my pain. Standing in front of me, after another time of me asking for forgiveness for a less than grace-filled response to his question...less than gentle, down right harsh. His face is all lit up, looking at me and in his small voice, he says, "Mama, do ya' know who my favorite superhero is?"

And so I ponder a minute, wondering, who is he going to say this time? Will it be Superman, Batman, Spiderman or the hero of his own making...Super Jacob? "No, sweetie, I don't know. Who?"

He smiles brightly and then offers, "God. Do ya' know why Mama?"

"No, precious. Why?"

"'Cause Mama, God IS REAL," he fiercely stresses those words, uncontainable joy lighting his face, "and ya' know what else Mama? He is my favorite because when He comes back, there won't be any more sickness..and I love that. And there won't be any more meanness...and I love that. And there won't be any more tears...and I REALLY REALLY LOVE that!"

Tears, they poured down my face at this wee one's faith...and for this gentle reminder from my Shepherd that He is not going to leave me here in this agony forever. And just that reminder of what is ours, spoken triumphantly by the wee one, strengthened me for the day. The head, it continues to pound, but I just want to share this joy with you. One day, Jesus is coming back. He is coming for His own. And for those of us who belong to Him? Our day of suffering will be over...He will wipe every tear from our eyes. He will wipe away all sickness, all death. That day is the one we wait for...we who hope in Him, knowing we will see Him face to face, be with Him and He will right all the wrongs. Today, whatever your struggle, whether it is sickness or loss, heartache or financial trouble, may you find Him and His Word to be water for your soul. May His Word renew you, strengthen you.

"And I heard a loud voice from the throne, saying, 'Behold, the tabernacle of God is among men, and He will dwell among them, and they shall be His people, and God Himself will be among them, and He will wipe away every tear from their eyes; and there will no longer be any death; there will no longer be any mourning, or crying, or pain; the first things have passed away.'" -Revelation 21:3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment